Wednesday, May 13, 2009

This one's closed, and this one's closed, and this one's closed. [Le deuxieme jour]

To all those living vicariously through me [your words not mine, David and Ashley], this is where to get your details. If I skimp on the text updates, it's only because I am enjoying my time in NYC. Also, I'm in and out of Subways a lot. No cell service sous sol. Don't take it to heart if I don't answer your text.

Sorry to be a blog-tease, but I've been fighting with the network for a half an hour, and now it's time for me to get some breakfast.

I will close out the first day and give you deets on the second on this post later tonight. Scout's honor.

UPDATE:
DAY 1:

The only crappy thing about the day was the sole heckler we met during the day. On the night-bus tour [again, I know it's lame] some guy decided to flip our bus not one, but two birds, and shout, "Hey, welcome to New York!"

Aside from that everyone behaves like your average human being. Not rude. Not overly friendly. Just normal. Go figure.

DAY 2:

Marcus and I explored SoHo. [read: shopped. It is me and Marcus, after all.]

Passed by the NY Times offices and lunched at Dean & Deluca [chocolate tortini = orgasmic. And sadly, trumps anything I've ever baked.], which is right next to the Mecca of journalism. Decided to submit applications. I'm hoping to become their youngest food critic. Keep your fingers crossed.

Ben met us for a half second there, was going to spend a little quality time, and then had to jet to meet one of his other friends. Asshat. [I kid.]

Mosied down 5th Avenue. Decided to go to Sunday Mass at St. Patrick's Cathedral. [I hope you're happy, grandma and grandpa.]

Went to the Guggenheim, only to find out they're doing construction so only 2 levels are open at the moment. Very nicely a docent told us we should probably come back after Friday when they open fully. We'll be upstate all day Friday, so it's looking like the Googs will have to be squeezed in on Saturday.

After the Guggenheim was a no-go, MLP and I decided to head out to Queens to check out the PS1 exhibit. [Running joke of the day: "Hey Ben, we ended up in Queens, too! Only we meant to."] Found out they are closed on Tuesdays. It was Tuesday. Awesome. That is also getting squeezed in at a later time.

Subwayed/walked to the Times Square area for the musical that night. wore flats on the train, changed shoes in line for the play. In the Heights was fabulous. Some [Marcus] didn't care for it, but said nameless parties [MLP] don't like musicals very much.

The lyrics were well done, and a lot of it was rapped, which was an interesting twist. Fitting for the setting, though.

Walked/subwayed back to Chelsea to find some dinner for the other folks. Did not wear flats on the way back. [5" low-profile black pointed-toe stilettos on the pavements of Manhattan. Yes, I am a martyr for fashion.] Surprisingly not a painful experience. Except for my almost tripping on the steps of the subway and tumbling to my untimely death.

Post cut short again. Ben called. Heading to meet him in Harlem. All by my lonesome. Hope I don't die. Or get lost. The latter is a high possibility.

No comments: