Sunday, April 5, 2009

So what you're basically saying is that we're just smart-ass fucking bees

I've been doing my best to quit procrastinating. I've only been the queen of procrastination since the third grade. With 15 years under my belt, I'm sure it'll be easy to stop cold turkey. [I say this as I sit not working on my papers and presentation.]

International film has been terrible for this endeavor. Because of this class I can justify spending an afternoon watching movies. No bueno.

At least these films count for something. Productive procrastination, right? I mean, it's not like I'm spending the afternoon cruising Etsy [please?] or YouTube, or blogging.

At any rate, I just finished watching Cidade dos Homens. Not nearly as good as Cidade de Deus, but follow-ups rarely are.

Article for magazine writing, STS reading and response, a bit of research, and then it's back to the movies.

Tonight: Finishing The Vertical Ray of the Sun. It started out promising enough.

Oh! Also: some recommendations for my lovely film-loving friends:

*Tsotsi [South Africa 2005]



*Cidade de Deus [Brazil 2002]



[Sorry For the Portuguese, but it was either that or a shitty American trailer.]

*Last Life in the Universe [Thailand 2003]



*XXY [Argentina 2007]


Off to read about Latin American cinema and misogyny in advertising. Good times are soon to be had.

2 comments:

Marcus Powers said...

Ugh. Cruising Etsy is exactly what I did this afternoon. But I was looking for Mother's Day gifts! That's a good excuse. Right?

Dani said...

Ha! It's better than my excuse.

I was pining over expensive prints.