Sunday, October 12, 2008

Backlash

So, a friend of mine left a comment on the Wasteland's Facebook group wall.

What it amounted to was that I am shallow and I hurt people's feelings. [Um, hi. Have you met me?]

My two thoughts are these:

1. I'm not so superficial as to truly believe that what people wear has anything to do with their worth as a person. Contrary to what most might believe, I really do care about people. Love them always? No. Like them always? HA! No. Care about them? Very much. If anyone's feelings are legitimately hurt by the Wasteland, I'd like for them to come to me and tell me straight to my face. I'd like to know, so I will be better able to avoid hurting others in the future. [I don't know if you noticed, but I have yet to call any individual anything derogatory.]

I believe that your appearance affects the way people treat you in the "real world." [It's out there, children, I've been there. Your parents didn't make it up.] What I want is for people to get into the habit of making a small effort at the very least so that when they get out there potential employers, contacts, love interests, etc. don't think things like "slovenly" and "lazy."

I'd also like to see people taking pride in themselves. Your worth should never be tied to material things, but damn if wearing an LBD and some leopard peep-toe pumps doesn't put a little extra pep in your step.

I want people to care about themselves enough to dress well. It not only improves the way people perceive you, it heightens confidence [which also improves the way people perceive you . . .] Dress how you want. Wear ratty-ass, dirty sweatpants and hoodies. I couldn't care less. Just realize [and I'm not kidding here] it's your future.


2. If I want to say that someone's ugly pants are ugly, I'm going to. If I want to say that a skirt is making a perfectly adorable girl look like a fat cow, I'm going to. If I want to say that there are certain unnamed individuals who look like they haven't washed since last Christmas, I'm going to. It's as simple as that.

"I think the most un-American thing you can say is, 'You can't say that.'" - Garrison Keillor

We are not living in a completely fascist society just yet, but while America is on it's way out you can be damn sure that I am going to exercise my right to free speech.

I spent a good deal of my youth trying to suppress my voice so that people would like me more. I absolutely refuse to do so as an adult. I am abrasive. I am sassy. I'm a bitch. Whether you love me or not, it's just something you are going to have to get used to.

It's all in good fun. It makes people laugh. I try very hard to make sure it doesn't berate individuals. I see no problem with it.

On top of this:

It's my goddamn right as an American citizen to say most anything I want. I'll be damned if anyone is going to attempt to passively bully me out of exercising that right.

3 comments:

Tony said...

You dislike my overalls don't you? hehe.

Dani said...

Yes, yes I do. :)

Marcus Powers said...

I'm a bitch too. I openly admit it. Nothing makes me more upset than when people are passive-aggressive bitches. Most of us are, deep down, bitches. Those of us who are should just accept it and let it shine. It would make for a better world, I believe.

And I love that quote! Email signature much? (I think it's also on my Facebook.)